Sweat Equity: Habitat for Humanity
Last month the Lundmark Advertising + Design staff stepped out of the office and onto a construction site for a day. We traded our computers and printers for hammers and nails and did our best to help build not just a house, but a home for a very deserving family.
Who did we help? We didn't meet the homeowner, but here's what we learned about Habitat for Humanity…
- Habitat homes are not free
- Homeowners take personal finance classes
- Homeowners make a down payment and monthly mortgage payments
- Homeowners invest 300-500 hours of sweat equity building their home and others
- Homeowners monthly mortgage payments are used to build more Habitat homes
If you have ever dreamed of owning your own home, then you understand the amount of pride and responsibility associated with ownership. We volunteered so a family in our city could experience this sense of pride and responsibility. We wanted to share our experience in the hope that it may encourage you to consider volunteering.
Visit www.habitat.org for more information.